We all worry and that is natural, because life puts ahead of us new challenges and tasks that we have to solve each day. By worrying we show that we care about our work, family, friends and ourselves.
Moderate concern is very useful, because it can protect us from the various inconvenience that we may face on a daily basis. If we are, for example, worried that we will be late for an important meeting, we can undertake a range of activities to prevent that from happening (we can get up and get ready earlier, leave home earlier in order to avoid traffic etc.) Excessive or chronic worry on the other hand is both physically exhausting and significantly affects the quality of our lives. If we worry to much, we encounter some of the following phenomena’s daily:
- We imagine negative outcomes of different situations and we experience anxiety because of our own negative thoughts.
- We worry often about things that we can’t change.
- We are becoming more and more indecisive and we are making decisions more and more slowly, because we are constantly looking for an ideal solution to the situation.
- Worry becomes a burdensome process that is difficult for us to control and which causes tension, anxiety, tiredness, concentrations and sleep problems.
So, how we can overcome excessive worry since it doesn’t bring us anything good?
I will give you some of my favorite tips that all of us can use when we feel that we have fallen into the trap of our own bad thoughts:
- When we worry too much the capacity of our attention is limited and most of the time we focus on negative outcomes. Because of that, we aren’t able to notice the favorable opportunities provided to us. By systemically focusing our attention on positive things, we can reduce the time spent on worrying and see that life gives us a lot of good things.
- We need to determine every day in advance the time and place when we worry. All bad thoughts, unnecessary analysis and fears that appear to us during the day we leave for ’the time when we worry’. This is a great technique, because this way we gradually gain control of our thoughts and become more and more focused on the present.
- Life is unexpected and all of us have to accept that, even if this sounds a little scary. With excessive worry we can’t influence every aspect of our lives. Once we accept that we can’t control everything, our life will become so much easier.
Whenever you notice that you worry too much, try to apply these techniques in order to help yourself clear your head from negative thoughts. Your life is happening now and don’t miss it by worrying about the future or the past.
By: Sonja Josipovic / Photo cred: www.verywell.com