The Scandinavian label Run & Relax, offering yoga- and sportswear in beautiful colours and great fabrics, seems to pop up everywhere these days. We met up with one of the founders, yogini Vibeke Klemetsen, to learn more about the brand.
By: Henriette Danielsen Photo: Rasmus Kongsøre
The concept of Run & Relax is based on an ambition to deliver an appealing look that inspires women to do more sports and achieve inner relaxation. Vibeke Klemetsen, Marit Unander and Marianne Borchgrevink established the brand in Norway back in 2011.
– Marianne and Marit had both made careers in major corporations and accomplished more than most people can ever dream of. But they both had a desire to start something on their own, so when they saw that there was an opening in the sports market, they quit their jobs and started fresh, with me on the team, Vibeke explains.
And since day one the brand has grown.
– The market was very receptive, and the brand has experienced strong growth since the very beginning. There was an understanding that Run & Relax had something new to offer, and this created much attention.
In 2015 they expanded and opened a store in the heart of Oslo. A place where people can try on the clothes, feel the material and even buy yoga mats and related accessories.
The brand is divided into three segments: Yoga, Sweat and Relax, made out of different materials for optimal comfort and function.
– For us it’s very important to offer garments with high quality materials. When wearing our clothes, we want you to feel comfortable. In our yoga collection we use bamboo, which makes the apparel very soft and functional, while in our sweat collection, we use technical and more breathable materials. We are also very pleased that many of the products are seamless, and the washing instructions are woven into the fabric, to avoid unpleasant and unnecessary tags, Vibeke says.
What makes your brand unique?
– We established ourselves with an ambition to be a breath of fresh air in the sportswear arena for women who want to enjoy a more active and balanced lifestyle, which we have accomplished.
Vibeke’s role, part from being one of the founders, is mainly working as the brand’s PR and marketing manager, but that’s just one of many tasks.
– We work as a team and handle everything together, both ups and downs. We are even involved in the design process. We have a designer from Denmark, Camilla Vesth, who designs all the clothes, but we share our input. For us is not only the design important, but also the functionality. Through the entire process, from drawing to finished product, it’s important for me to test our products.
Where do you get your inspiration?
– Friends and family are an important source of inspiration when creating new collections. We also try to picture our target groups and their needs. For me personally it’s not that hard, since I am one of them.
Run & Relax launches their new collection today and we of course had to ask Vibeke what her favorite pieces are.
– It’s so difficult to choose! But if I have to select it has to be the Yama tights, Long Dance Tank and Hood Wrap. Three pieces that I’m definitely going to wear a lot. The colours in this collection are also something I think customers are going to appreciate, because they suit perfectly as we are heading towards brighter days.
What are the future plans for the brand?
– We want to continue growing and expand to Europe. We have such great faith in our products and this is just the beginning of a wonderful journey!
See pictures and a video from their brand new SS16 collection that will be available on their webpage and in their store later today!
(Click on the images to enlarge)
Name: Vibeke Klemetsen
Occupation: Yoga instructor and part owner of Run & Relax.
Lives: Bærum, Norway